Backdating council tax benefit uk

Rated 3.95/5 based on 604 customer reviews

If you're already receiving Council Tax Reduction and need to tell us about a change see changes of circumstance.

You can claim Council Tax Reduction if you’re responsible for paying the Council Tax for the property you live in.

This means that your name should appear on the Council Tax bill.

If your name doesn’t appear on the Council Tax bill but you pay rent then you may be eligible for Housing Benefit.

For older people the maximum period is still 3 months.

We'll send you a new Council Tax bill for the year showing the reduction and any unpaid balance.

If you're of pension age, we'll automatically backdate your new claim by up to three months from the date we receive your claim.

If we have decided that you have not shown 'good cause' and we cannot backdate your claim, the reasons for this will be explained in our letter.

If we decide not to backdate your claim and you do not agree with this decision you must contact us within one month of the decision letter.

Leave a Reply